Monday, January 23, 2006

From my head to my heart

There's a popular song that says, "The longest distance I've ever known is from my head to my heart." Although the singers are referring to their lack of love for a woman they know they should love, I see how this lyric applies even to average situations. For me, there are so many things I know to be right and true - in my head. But in practice, in my heart, I have a hard time implementing those changes. For instance, I know that I shouldn't judge or gossip; yet I catch myself time and again casting haughty looks of harsh condemnation. I also know that I should work out and eat better; yet those brownies are SO tempting!

I also know that God is more than just a name or a character in a book. I know that Jesus is more than a man who lived and died more than 2,000 years ago. I know that the Bible is true and that my life should be based on those truths. Yet, how do I get those facts that I know to be true to be more than just head knowledge? If I truly believed God was active today, wouldn't I be more bold in believing for healing and other miracles? If I knew that I knew that Jesus can change lives, wouldn't I tell His story without hesitation? And if I knew that God's central truth was about love and not judgement, wouldn't I be more quick to comfort, love and encourage rather than condemn, judge and reject?

So how do I truly implement and exhibit God's character and love without hypocrisy and without wavering? How do I get my love for Him from my head into my heart, my hands and my feet?

No comments: