Tuesday, August 21, 2007

We're All Christians


I love my job - not so much the tasks as much as the people. Where else can I get paid to pray, talk with people from around the world and receive on-the-job training in how to share my faith? I am privileged to have heard the heart stories of some incredible people and I thank them for sharing their journey with me.

And yet ...

I am discouraged to realize that despite my best efforts I spend most of my time with other believers. Monday through Friday I work with Christians; Tuesday night is evangelism training (cuz it looks good on this application thingy I'm working through); Friday or Saturday is game night with church friends; and Sunday is spent going to church or sleeping. I've been asked whether I want to join the church's softball team, but that would be 1 more night dedicated to hanging with believers.

Months ago I applied to volunteer at a local hospital but I haven't heard anything yet. I occasionally glance at the classifieds to see if there's anything in my field in a secular environment. I also am praying about how to build relationships and strengthen existing relationships through get togethers or block parties. But it's so daggum hard to be motivated after a full-day's work to call someone up or go visit someone. I'm probably the only person here who is craving for God to lead me out of the pastures into the world (hat tip to McManus).

Are there any peeps out there who have dealt with this same issue? If so, how do you pop the Christian bubble? Also, is it any easier when your full-time job is to build relationships, do evangelism, etc.?

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Brittany, it seems to be a little easier to make non-Christian friends when I live in such a non-Christian environment. i.e. there are so many around me I can't help but run into them, but my natural tendency is still to spend time with other believers. It's still a discipline made slightly easier by geography, calling and experience. The longer I'm over here in Germany though, the more I'm comfortable having the conversations I need and want with students here. But it doesn't come as naturally as it might to someone with a spiritual gift for evang. BTW, will you be at SheGather?