Monday, March 24, 2008

Silent Speaking

Nearly 4 years ago, Mike’s father unexpectedly died from a heart attack. I remember going to eat with a friend weeks after Bert’s death, and telling the friend that I didn’t know if I could trust God anymore. He asked me what it would take for me to believe and I said, “I just want to see God. I want to see a situation so irreversible and horrible that only God can be credited with saving the person or situation. I want to see Him answer prayer or somehow prove that He cares when we cry to Him.” Recently I lamented to several folks that I still hadn’t seen or “felt” God in an undeniable way.

This past weekend I was continued my reading of Job and came across a verse that truly spoke to my heart. One young dude responds to Job’s complaints that God has falsely accused Job and is now ignoring him. The young dude says, “Why do you take Him (God) to court for not answering anything a person asks? For God speaks time and again, but a person may not notice it. In a dream, a vision in the night, when deep sleep falls on people as they slumber on their beds, He uncovers their ears at that time …”

Could it be that God has been speaking and acting and either I’ve been oblivious or I’ve attributed His voice to someone/something else?

No comments: