Sunday, April 30, 2006

10 Steps to Seeing Miracles


I have to admit, I normally pass over any type of book that guarantees to fix my problems in 10 easy steps or by using a formula that has worked for countless others. Perhaps it's because of my firm belief that God created each of us differently so what worked for Susie won't necessarily work for me.

Many teachers out there have put forth lessons that teach what steps we need to take if we want to see miracles occur. Oftentimes they list the following:
  • faithfully tithe
  • read the Bible everyday
  • pray at least 3 times a day (over meals), and any other time you feel like it
  • make friends only with Christians who can encourage you and stay away from people who could cause you to "stumble"

The problem is that Jesus never talked about a works based gospel. His message of salvation almost always was about a free gift offered by a loving Father to His searching children. This is true of eternal salvation, but I believe it applies to even situations of daily salvation from illness, danger, poverty and depression.

Galations 3:5 says, "Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it be the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?"

Seems to me Paul clearly is stating that miracles come about by us (children) speaking words of faith to our Father, and our Father answering. No checklist to make sure we've taken our daily dose of Scripture or balance book to ensure our good deeds outweight our bad. All it takes for God to intercede is us opening our mouths and saying in confidence, "Even in this I trust you. For you are the Healer, Forgiver, Deliverer, Provider, Comforter and Wisdom that I need."

No comments: